You are here
The Pathauto module generates URLs automatically depending on the path provided for each content type specified, and the title of your content. It also does iteration so you can drop out unneeded punctuation and words. Don't forget to create a new path when you setup a new content type, otherwise it will create the default path for all nodes.
The Pathauto module automatically generates path aliases for various kinds of content (nodes, categories, users) without requiring the user to manually specify the path alias. This allows you to get aliases like /category/my-node-title.html instead of /node/123. The aliases are based upon a "pattern" system which the administrator can control.
- Stable 6.x version For most 6.x users, there are now official and dev releases of Pathauto 6.x-1.1 which is a direct port of the 5.x-2.x code. Be sure to read the 5.x to 6.x upgrade guide
- Unstable developer version for 6.x For the daring 6.x users who want to test out the latest features, the 6.x-2.x version is where we are trying out fun new features and UI improvements. (Note: it may eat your baby).
Recommended Related Modules:
- Path Redirect when installed Pathauto will provide a new "Update Action" in case your URLs change. This is the recommended update action and is considered the best practice for SEO and usability.
- Global Redirect ensures that your content is only visiable at the one, best URL possible (i.e. requests for node/2 are forwarded to "alias-for-node-2").
- Pathologic (untested, but may help with updating outdated links in existing content)
- Transliteration useful if your patterns contain characters beyond ASCII 96 and you want them transliterated into ASCII 96 (used for Pathauto 6.x-2.x, in 6.x-1.x and earlier transliteration was handled differently...)
- Sub-path URL Aliasing provides a way to use one alias for multiple URLs as long as the so that "node/1" is aliased to "about-my-site" then you can use "about-my-site/edit" to access "node/1/edit". Neat!
#D7CX: I pledge that Pathauto will have a full Drupal 7 release on the day that Drupal 7 is released.